SC Tennis Patrons Foundation Scholarship: The South Carolina Tennis Patrons Foundation established two scholarships in 1993. A third scholarship, the Randall G. Heffron, D.M.D. Memorial Scholarship Award, was established in 2005. The Heffron Scholarship uses the same criteria as the Patrons Foundation Scholarships and is selected by the SCTPF Scholarship Committee. The scholarship is funded through contributions made to the Coastal Community Foundation.
The criterion for selection of scholarship winners is based upon:
- Academic achievement
- Character and sportsmanship
- Extra curricular activities and community service
- Notable tennis achievements
- Essay, "The Impact of Tennis on My Life"
This $2000 scholarship is for the freshman year only. Payment will be made directly to the college or university in the name of the recipient. Applications must be received by June 30th. Recipients will be selected by the South Carolina Tennis Patrons Foundation Scholarship Committee. Click here for the application.
Dunlop Scholarship: The Dunlop Scholarship, established in 1992, is sponsored jointly by Dunlop Slazenger Corporation and the Wachovia and Palmetto Championships. The Palmetto Championships was founded in Belton, SC in 1957 and has been played that town each year since. The tournament, held in June, is for junior boys and girls in South Carolina and serves as the state’s national qualifying tournament. Dunlop Slazenger has worked with the Palmetto Championships since the early 1980’s in an effort to improve the tournament and junior tennis in the state. This scholarship is a further effort by Dunlop Slazenger to provide more opportunities to our junior players. The Scholarship recognizes an incoming college female or male who has participated in junior tennis in South Carolina.
- Must have played in at least two Palmetto Championships (the current year may count as one of the two)
- Must have received a USTA SC ranking at least two years
- Must play in current year’s Palmetto Championships (unless junior eligibility has expired or there is an injury)
- Must be an incoming freshman at an accredited post-secondary college, university or vocational school in the United States
- Must not already have a full scholarship
This $2000 scholarship is for the freshman year only. Payment will be made directly to the college or university in the name of the recipient. Applications must be received by May 20th
. The winner will be announced at the 18’s Party held during the Palmetto Championships. The committee may wish to interview the scholarship finalists if necessary to make a decision. If needed, the interviews will be scheduled for the first day of the tournament. Click here
to download the application.
Southern Tennis Patrons Foundation Junior Player Grant
The Southern Tennis Patrons Foundation provides two $2,000 college scholarships that are awarded to players from the Southern Section who apply for but do not receive USTA Serves college scholarships. Recipients must apply for the USTA Serves scholarships and meet other criteria to be considered.
Your application for the USTA Serves college scholarships will also serve as your application for the Southern Tennis Patrons Foundation's Southern Section scholarships.
The USTA Southern recipients will be selected from those applicants who are not selected for the USTA Serves college scholarships based on the following requirements:
- Been a resident of one of the nine USTA Southern states for at least one full school year
- Do not have a full (tuition and room and board) college scholarship of any kind
- Be an incoming college freshman in the fall
- Be an active tennis player meeting at least one of the following four requirements:
- Top 500 in the Southern standings within the past two years
- Played at least two years on your high school tennis team
- Played at least two years of Jr. Team Tennis
- Played at least two years of NJTL
Selection will be based on five criteria:
- Academic results
- Extracurricular activities
- Tennis participation and results
- Essay and recommendations
- Financial need
Click here to apply for the USTA Serves College Scholarships. Deadline is Feb. 21, 2014.
SCTPF Junior Player Grant
The South Carolina Tennis Patrons Foundation offers financial aid on a limited basis, primarily on need, for junior players. Grants are awarded from $100-$500 per calendar year for tennis related expenses.
Recipients may be asked to provide accountability of how grant funds were spent. Compliance with accountability requests could affect eligibility for future grant consideration.
- Player must be a full time resident of South Carolina and must be a USTA Member.
- Player must be willing to play on state and sectional teams if asked.
- Grant funds may be used for any tennis related expenses (equipment, lessons, entry fees, travel expenses, etc.).
- Player’s annual family income $99,000 or less; exceptions can be made when multiple players come from one family.
- A player may only apply for one grant per calendar year. However, a player who improves his or her ranking/standing during the year, can qualify for the difference in funding from one grant to the other (i.e. if a player whose standing is 15th in the state receives a $250 competition grant, then improves his or her standing to top 5 in the state and top 50 in the south, the player may apply for the $250 difference between the Competition and High Performance grants).
- If an applicant’s family income is greater than $50,000, the maximum household (brothers and sisters) award in grant money may not exceed $700 per calendar year. If an applicant’s family income is $50,000 or less, then an additional $100 per applicant will be considered. This adjusted total household award in grant money may not exceed $1000 per calendar year.
- Whichever is more, $2000 or 25%, of the total SCTPF Junior Player Grant budget will be used for grants to families with a household income less than $50,000. Any monies remaining from this amount after July 1 can be used by any eligible applicant.
- Grant dollars are limited to the amount budgeted by SCTPF each calendar year on a first come first served basis.
Summer Camp Scholarship: Deadline April 7, 2014. For intermediate level tennis players who exemplify strong values and personal character and who require financial assistance to attend a summer tennis camp. Due to NCAA Regulations, all applicants attending a summer tennis camp that is held on a College/University campus must be 13 or younger. All other juniors may apply for a camp that is not on a college campus by checking the "Camp of your Choice" option.
USTA South Carolina Annual Meeting Scholarship:
This reimbursement scholarship encourages Community Tennis Associations to network and connect with USTA South Carolina by attending our association’s Annual Meeting. Applications are due by 5:00 pm to USTA South Carolina November 12, 2012. Click here
for the application.
Multicultural Individual Player Grant for National Competition & Training - Click here for application
Provide funding to competitive junior players aspiring to achieve national and/or international rankings. Funding will be based on the success level of the player in the previous year. Must be training and competing in tournaments year-round. Have a history of strong national tournament results.
National Contact: Renee Tirado, Manager, Diversity, 914-697-2372 firstname.lastname@example.org
Grant Amount: maximum $10,000
# Available: Varies
Apps Available: 17-Oct
Date Apps Due Section: 18-Nov
Date Apps Due USTA: 28-Nov
Data Grant Awarded: January