SC Tennis Patrons Foundation Scholarship: The South Carolina Tennis Patrons Foundation established two scholarships in 1993. A third scholarship, the Randall G. Heffron, D.M.D. Memorial Scholarship Award, was established in 2005. The Heffron Scholarship uses the same criteria as the Patrons Foundation Scholarships and is selected by the SCTPF Scholarship Committee. The scholarship is funded through contributions made to the Coastal Community Foundation.
The criterion for selection of scholarship winners is based upon:
- Academic achievement
- Character and sportsmanship
- Extra curricular activities and community service
- Notable tennis achievements
- Essay, "The Impact of Tennis on My Life"
This $2000 scholarship is for the freshman year only. Payment will be made directly to the college or university in the name of the recipient. Applications must be received by June 30th. Recipients will be selected by the South Carolina Tennis Patrons Foundation Scholarship Committee. Click here for the application.
Dunlop Scholarship: The Dunlop Scholarship, established in 1992, is sponsored jointly by Dunlop Slazenger Corporation and the Wachovia and Palmetto Championships. The Palmetto Championships was founded in Belton, SC in 1957 and has been played that town each year since. The tournament, held in June, is for junior boys and girls in South Carolina and serves as the state’s national qualifying tournament. Dunlop Slazenger has worked with the Palmetto Championships since the early 1980’s in an effort to improve the tournament and junior tennis in the state. This scholarship is a further effort by Dunlop Slazenger to provide more opportunities to our junior players. The Scholarship recognizes an incoming college female or male who has participated in junior tennis in South Carolina.
- Must have played in at least two Palmetto Championships (the current year may count as one of the two)
- Must have received a USTA SC ranking at least two years
- Must play in current year’s Palmetto Championships (unless junior eligibility has expired or there is an injury)
- Must be an incoming freshman at an accredited post-secondary college, university or vocational school in the United States
- Must not already have a full scholarship
This $2000 scholarship is for the freshman year only. Payment will be made directly to the college or university in the name of the recipient. Applications must be received by May 20th
. The winner will be announced at the 18’s Party held during the Palmetto Championships. The committee may wish to interview the scholarship finalists if necessary to make a decision. If needed, the interviews will be scheduled for the first day of the tournament. Click here
to download the application.
Southern Tennis Patrons Foundation Junior Player Grant
Financial Aid is available on a limited basis and is awarded based on need for players ranked in USTA Southern Section ELIGIBLE top 100 standings. (age groups 12-18s) Instructions for completing application:
1) Family income must be $99,000 or less to qualify.
2) You must first apply to your state office for aid.
3) Attach copy of previous year’s signed and submitted Federal Tax return. No applications will be considered without this.
4) All required signatures must be included on this application.
5) If aid is given, original receipts for how the aid was used must be submitted to the Southern Section office along with the financial aid application. Keep in mind that it is a travel grant and to be used for travel expenses and tournament entry fees only.
6) Applicant/parent/guardian must exhibit good sportsmanship on and off the court at all times. Parent/guardian of player with 4 or more suspension points (code of conduct) is not eligible for aid until such time as those points drop below 4. Additionally, parent/guardian of player is not eligible for aid if:
a. The player has been suspended during the calendar year
b. The parent/guardian has been suspended during the calendar year.
(Note: Applicant/parent/guardian is not eligible for aid in any calendar year in which a suspension is or has been in effect at the State, Section, or National level.)
7) Maximum grant is $1000 per player per calendar year (up to additional $2000 available for those competing at National Events.) Player must be willing to participate in National and or Southern team events, if asked.
8) We reserve the right to ask for additional documentation as deemed necessary.
No applications will be considered without this material. Download the financial aid assistance application here
SCTPF Junior Player Grant
The South Carolina Tennis Patrons Foundation offers financial aid on a limited basis, primarily on need, for junior players. Grants are awarded from $100-$500 per calendar year for tennis related expenses. Applications must be received by November 1st each year. Late applications will be considered only if there are funds remaining in the junior player grant budget.
Recipients may be asked to provide accountability of how grant funds were spent. Compliance with accountability requests could affect eligibility for future grant consideration.
- Player must be a full time resident of South Carolina and must be a USTA member.
- Player must be willing to play on state and sectional teams if asked.
- Grant funds may be used for any tennis related expenses (equipment, lessons, entry fees, travel expenses, etc.).
- Player’s annual family income should be less than $120,000; exceptions can be made when multiple players come from one family.
- Applications must be received by November 1st each year. Late applications will be considered only if there are funds remaining in the player grant budget.
- Grant dollars are limited to the amount budgeted by SCTPF each calendar year.
Summer Camp Scholarship: Deadline April 1, 2013. For intermediate level tennis players who exemplify strong values and personal character and who require financial assistance to attend a summer tennis camp. Due to NCAA Regulations, all applicants attending a summer tennis camp that is held on a College/University campus must be 13 or younger. All other juniors may apply for a camp that is not on a college campus by checking the "Camp of your Choice" option.
USTA South Carolina Annual Meeting Scholarship:
This reimbursement scholarship encourages Community Tennis Associations to network and connect with USTA South Carolina by attending our association’s Annual Meeting. Applications are due by 5:00 pm to USTA South Carolina November 12, 2012. Click here
for the application.
2013 USTA Community Tennis Development Workshop (CTDW) scholarship
The deadline to submit an application is Thursday, August 15th at 5:00 PM Eastern time.
The event will take place October 31 - November 3 at the Sheraton Denver Downtown Hotel in Denver, Colorado. For additional details about the CTDW, go to http://www.usta.com/tennis_development_workshop/
CTDW scholarships offered by USTA National will include complimentary workshop registration and a $500 stipend for hotel and miscellaneous expenses, to be received after the CTDW.
CTDW scholarships offered by USTA Southern and USTA South Carolina will cover up to $750 in expenses and the funds will be issued as reimbursement after the workshop. Applicants are required to use the National online application found from the link below. Applicants that don’t receive funding from USTA National will be considered by USTA Southern and those that don’t receive funding from USTA Southern will be considered by USTA South Carolina. Just one application through the link below is necessary to be eligible for funding from National, Southern or South Carolina.
Multicultural Individual Player Grant for National Competition & Training - Click here for application
Provide funding to competitive junior players aspiring to achieve national and/or international rankings. Funding will be based on the success level of the player in the previous year. Must be training and competing in tournaments year-round. Have a history of strong national tournament results.
National Contact: Renee Tirado, Manager, Diversity, 914-697-2372 email@example.com
Grant Amount: maximum $10,000
# Available: Varies
Apps Available: 17-Oct
Date Apps Due Section: 18-Nov
Date Apps Due USTA: 28-Nov
Data Grant Awarded: January