2014 Officials Clinics Announced—Register Now!
Interested in becoming a USTA Official? Need to recertify in 2014? Winter 2014 USTA SC Officials Clinics will be held in February in Florence, Rock Hill, and Columbia. Click here for more information.
From the Chairman’s Desk…
Good sportsmanship has become a point of emphasis in USTA SC tournaments by many of our USTA SC Committees. We, as Officials, have a unique opportunity to be a positive influence on players, parents, and coaches of our Junior Tournaments every day as we do our job! Below I have highlighted a few helpful hints that I hope you will find helpful in promoting good sportsmanship at your tournaments.
I would like to encourage all of you to review a Link found on our Resource tab, Things Every Player, Parent, and Coach Should Know.
Post it! Hand it out! Insert it into Player Hospitality Bags! This wonderful document references how to handle many on-court issues by helping those involved to understand how to handle things that "don’t seem right," by knowing how to appropriately direct their concerns, and to whom.
Another helpful tool for facilitating Good Sportsmanship is good tournament staffing. Referees, please ensure that your Tournament Director is using the USTA-SC Policy, Staffing of Officials
at USTA Junior events. Having proper coverage (according to level) can be very helpful in deterring problem situations that can lead to frustration and inappropriate behaviors.
Other helpful ways to facilitate good sportsmanship at your tournaments:
- Make use of good communication and expectations with your officials in your pre-tournament crew meetings every morning.
- Recognize good sportsmanship in players when it is observed,
- Always display a positive, friendly face to all participants, and remember to be a Friend at Court every day!
What Is A Tennis Official?
A referee, chair umpire, line umpire, or roving umpire who ensures that a tennis match is conducted under the fairest possible conditions.
Why Be a Tennis Official?
- Contribute to the sport of tennis
- Gain a greater appreciation for the game
- Build relationships within the tennis community
- Be part of the team of officials who make a tennis event successful for players and spectators
How Can I Become A Tennis Official?